Institution
The University of Texas at El Paso
Academic Level
Issue Area(s)
Key Personnel
The University of Texas at El Paso
LSAMP, Engineering Bldg. Rm. 301
500 W. University Ave.
El Paso, TX 79968-9991
United States

The primary vehicle by which University of Texas Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (UT-LSAMP) has maintained its success is the Summer Research Academy (SRA).  SRA is a residential program in which undergraduate Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) majors spend a summer working full-time on stipend-supported, ongoing research projects under the direction of tenured faculty mentors.  Approximately 50 students are chosen as SRA scholars each summer.  These students are encouraged to participate in a "university exchange" by selecting summer research sites away from their home campuses.  Their faculty mentors receive funding support for supplies or student travel.  In addition to obtaining research experience and funding, SRA scholars are involved in several videoconferences during their research experience.  Since 1992, the UT-LSAMP program has served a total of 1,886 undergraduate students.  Of this total, 618 students (53%) are Latinos; the remaining 47% are students belonging to other underrepresented minorities (URMs).

Goal/Mission

In 1991, a state-wide effort was initiated by the eight University of Texas (UT) System campuses and six community college districts to increase the number of URMs who complete Bachelor's degrees and pursue Graduate degrees in STEM fields.  This mission was presented to the National Science Foundation (NSF), and, in 1992, the NSF officially awarded and recognized the UT System as a Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP).         

Outcome

Over the life of the program, more than 90% of the LSAMP scholars (n=1171) have graduated from UT System institutions, and the remaining students are currently enrolled and making progress toward their STEM degree.  This 90% rate is significant because UT-LSAMP's original goal was to graduate 50% of participating students.  UT-LSAMP students have engaged in numerous research presentations and have published several journal articles.  LSAMP graduates are in high demand and are recruited by major corporations and graduate/professional universities.  Several LSAMP graduates also have participated as Bridge to the Doctorate Fellows with the UT System and other LSAMP Alliances.

Program Focus
Summer Bridge, Undergraduate Research